Peter C. K. Vesborg
Assistant professor at CINF (Center for Individual Nanoparticle Functionality)
Department of Physics
Building 307, room 060
Technical University of Denmark
DK-2800 Kgs. Lyngby
Phone no: (+45) 45 25 32 76
The main focus of my research group is the development novel nano engineered materials systems for harvesting solar energy en the form of chemicals such as hydrogen.
The emphasis is on the semiconducting thin-films that harvest the solar photons and the co-catalysts which facilitate the reactions. Candidate semiconductors include sulfides, nitrides and oxy-nitrides of transition metals.
Work is also ongoing to test promising photocatalytic materials in microreactors for both uphill and downhill reactions. The microreactor approach allows fast and easy detection of reaction products giving mechanistic and kinetic information. The research is conducted with the serious resource limitations imposed by the terawatt-scale of the energy problem in mind.
Possible student projects
If you are looking for a bachelor or master project check the student project page.
Active member of DARK (Dansk Amatør Raket Klub) which is Denmark's oldest club for people interested in the exciting field of amateur experimental rocketry.
- 2012: Assistant Professor at DTU-Physics
- 2011: Postdoc at Stanford University
- 2010-2011: Postdoc at CINF
- 2006-2010: Ph.d. work at CINF
- 2006: Graduated from DTU as Master of Science in Engineering (applied physics)
- 2004-2005: Fulbright scholarship for graduate studies at UIUC - dept. of Physics
- 2003: Sold "Snerydning Gentofte I/S"
- 2000: Co-founded the company "Snerydning Gentofte I/S"
- 2000: Graduated from high school (mathematical)
- Born june 17th 1981
International conference contributions
- 2011, ECS 220, Boston, USA, Presentation: Molecular Electrocatalysts Coupled to p-Si Photocathodes for Solar Hydrogen Evolution
- 2010, IPS-18, Seoul, South Korea, Presentation: Photocatalysis in microreactors
- 2009, 21st NAM, San Francisco, USA, Presentation: Transient behavior of Cu/ZnO-based methanol synthesis catalysts
- 2009, NCCC-X Netherlands Catalysis and Chemistry Conference, Netherlands, Poster: Photocatalysis in microreactors
- 2008, ESF:Nanotechnology for Sustainable Energy, Obergurgl, Austria, Poster: Photocatalysis in microreactors
- 2007, WS-21 Hydrogen as future energy carrier, Avila, Spain: Poster: New materials systems for photochemical hydrogen production
- 2007, Europacat VIII, Turku, Finland: Poster: Studies of Cu/ZnO-based catalysts under methanol synthesis conditions
Publication list (19)
- 2013, Seger B., Pedersen T., Laursen AB, Vesborg PCK, Hansen O. and Chorkendorff I.
Using TiO2 as a Conductive Protective Layer for Photocathodic H-2 Evolution
JACS, 135 (3), P. 1057-1064, DOI: 10.1021/ja309523t
- 2012, Pinaud BA., Vesborg PCK, Jaramillo TF.,
Effect of Film Morphology and Thickness on Charge Transport in Ta3N5/Ta Photoanodes for Solar Water Splitting
Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 116 (30), P. 15918-15924, DOI: 10.1021/jp3041742
- 2012, Seger B., Laursen AB, Vesborg PCK, Pedersen T., Hansen O., Dahl S. and Chorkendorff I.
Hydrogen Production Using a Molybdenum Sulfide Catalyst on a Titanium-Protected n+p-Silicon Photocathode
Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 51 (36), P. 9128-9131, DOI: 10.1002/anie.201203585
- 2012, Vesborg PCK, Jaramillo TF
Addressing the terawatt challenge: Scalability in the supply of chemical elements for renewable energy
RSC Advances, 2 (21), P. 7933-7947, DOI: 10.1039/C2RA20839C
- 2012, Dionigi F., Vesborg PCK, Pedersen T., Hansen O., Dahl S., Xiong A., Maeda K., Domen K. and Chorkendorff I.
Suppression of the water splitting back reaction on GaN:ZnO photocatalysts loaded with core/shell cocatalysts, investigated using a m- reactor
Journal of Catalysis, 292, P. 26-31, DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2012.03.021
- 2012, Hou Y, Abrams BL, Vesborg PCK, Bjorketun ME, Herbst K, Bech L, Seger B, Pedersen T, Hansen O, Rossmeisl J, Dahl S, Nørskov JK, Chorkendorff
Photoelectrocatalysis and electrocatalysis on silicon electrodes
decorated with cubane-like clusters
Journal of Photonics for Energy 2(1), P.026001, 10.1117/1.JPE.2.026001
- 2012, Nielsen MG, In S, Vesborg PCK, Pedersen T, Almtoft KP, Andersen IH, Hansen O, Chorkendorff I
A generic model for photocatalytic activity as a function of catalyst thickness
Journal of Catalysis, 289, P. 62-72, DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2012.01.015
- 2011, Vesborg PCK, Chorkendorff I, Brock-Nannestad T, Dethlefsen JR, Bendix J
Simple means for selective removal of the 365 nm line from the Hg spectrum using Dy
Review of Scientific Instruments, 82, P. 096102, DOI: 10.1063/1.3639128
- 2011, Dionigi F, Vesborg PCK, Pedersen T, Hansen O, Dahl S, Xiong AK, Maeda K, Domen K, Chorkendorff I
Gas phase photocatalytic water splitting with Rh2-yCryO3/GaN:ZnO in mu-reactors
Energy & Environmental Science, 4 (8), P. 2937-2942, DOI: 10.1039/c1ee01242h
- 2011, In SI, Vesborg PCK, Abrams BL, Hou YD, Chorkendorff I
A comparative study of two techniques for determining photocatalytic activity of nitrogen doped TiO2 nanotubes under visible light irradiation: Photocatalytic reduction of dye and photocatalytic oxidation of organic molecules
Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology: A-Chemistry, 222 (1), P. 258-262, DOI: 10.1016/j.jphotochem.2011.06.005
- 2011, Hou Y, Abrams BL, Vesborg PCK, Bjorketun ME, Herbst K, Bech L, Setti A, Damsgaard CD, Pedersen T, Hansen O, Rossmeisl J, Dahl S, Nørskov JK, Chorkendorff I
Bioinspired molecular co-catalysts bonded to a silicon photocathode for solar hydrogen evolution
Nature Materials, 10 (2), P. 434-438, DOI: 10.1038/NMAT3008
- 2011, In S, Nielsen MG, Vesborg PCK, Hou Y, Abrams BL, Henriksen TR, Hansen O, Chorkendorff I
Photocatalytic methane decomposition over vertically aligned transparent TiO2 nanotube arrays
Chemical Communications, 47, P. 2613-2615, DOI: 10.1039/C0CC02570D
- 2010, Vesborg PCK, In S, Olsen JL, Henriksen TR, Abrams BL, Hou YD, Kleiman-Shwarsctein A, Hansen O, Chorkendorff I
Quantitative Measurements of Photocatalytic CO-Oxidation as a Function of Light Intensity and Wavelength over TiO2 Nanotube Thin Films in mu-Reactors
Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 114 (25), P. 11162-11168, DOI: 10.1021/jp100552x
- 2010, Vesborg PCK, Olsen JL, Henriksen TR, Chorkendorff I, Hansen O
Gas-phase photocatalysis in mu-reactors
Chemical Engineering Journal, 160 (2), P. 738-741, DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2010.03.083
- 2010, In S, Yidong H, Abrams BL, Vesborg PCK, Chorkendorff I
Controlled Directional Growth of TiO2 Nanotubes Using Molecular Oxygen as a Catalyst
Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 157 (5), P. E69-E74, DOI: 10.1149/1.3308599
- 2010, Vesborg PCK, Olsen JL, Henriksen TR, Chorkendorff I, Hansen O
"Cold-bonding": Performing anodic bonding without damage to heat sensitive areas
Review of Scientific Instruments, 81, P. 016111, DOI: 10.1063/1.3277117
- 2009, Henriksen TR, Olsen JL, Vesborg PCK, Chorkendorff I, Hansen O
Highly sensitive silicon microreactor for catalyst testing
Review of Scientific Instruments 80, P. 124101, DOI: 10.1063/1.3270191
- 2009, Abrams BL, Vesborg PCK, Bonde JL, Jaramillo TF, Chorkendorff I
Dynamics of Surface Exchange Reactions Between Au and Pt for HER and HOR
Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 156 (2), P. B273-B282, DOI: 10.1149/1.3040509
- 2009, Vesborg PCK, Chorkendorff I, Knudsen I, Balmes O, Nerlov J, Molenbroek AM, Clausen BS, Helveg S
Transient behavior of Cu/ZnO-based methanol synthesis catalysts
Journal of Catalysis, 262 (1), P. 65-72, DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2008.11.028
My research on New, cubane-based co-catalysts for photocatalytic hydrogen evolution is being sponsored by the Danish Council for Independent Research - FTP. Project number 10-080861.
File translated from
On 19 Mar 2013, 15:50.